Thursday, July 30, 2015

Why Listen to Wisdom?


My senior year in college, a friend and I decided to drive home for the Christmas holidays from Texas to Illinois. Weather reports were not favorable with ice and snow predicted from Little Rock north. My mother begged me to take the train or plane home, but I had no fear. We were both good drivers.
We slid on solid ice from Little Rock north. Then about 20 miles from home a semi clipped us. We spun around and headed the wrong way, The front end of my car lying inpieces on the highway.  Everyone was creeping along and fortunately no one was seriously injured. My car was totaled and when I returned to my public health rotation at Baylor College of Nursing, I found myself either walking or bumming rides from classmates.  My assigned area to make home visits was  in the Fair Park area, not considered safe for walking alone. I learned a lesson about respecting the advice of someone wiser than I. When have we not listened to the wisdom of the Holy Spirit and ended up walking in unsafe places?
"Since they would not accept my advice
and spurned my rebuke,
they will eat the fruit of their ways
and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.
For the waywardness of the simple will kill them,
and the complacency of fools will destroy them;
but whoever listens to me will live in safety
and be at ease, without fear of harm.” Proverbs 1:30-31
Like   Comment   

No comments:

Post a Comment