Monday, August 30, 2010

Autism's Hero Honored in 2010 Emmy's

If only the sun-drenched celebrities are being noticed and worshiped, then our children are going to have a tough time seeing the value in the shadows, where the thinkers, probers and scientists are keeping society together.

Who watched the Emmy's last night? An HBO movie, a true story drama about a young woman's determination to follow her true path in life, beat out several others in the various categories where more glitz, glammor, and humor was depicted. The movie "Temple Grandin",  is the story about a woman who didn't let the social, physical or emotional barriers imposed by Autism keep her from achieving her full potential.


The movie was honored with Emmy's for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Suporting Actor and Best Directing in the :Made for TV Movie categories." The subject of the movie, Temple Grandin, was  acknowledged as each award was presented.  She came up on stage with the cast when the film's director, who announced that she was the mother of an Autistic son,  received the award for Best Directing. Each awardee commented on what a privilege is had been to play their role, Temple, Temple's supportive mother and the teacher who believed in her, encouraged and supporter her efforts.


Temple has a PhD in Animal Husbandry and has developed a wide range of equipment that has made it easier for the cattle and cattlemen to do their jobs through her uncanny ability to visualize. She is a college professor and speaks to a variety of groups on animal husbandry and Autism. I describe her as a celebritiy who is a genuine human being. 


So much emphasis was placed on the attire worn by the celebrities at the awards. Yet, Temple was not dressed in a popular designer original gown. She wore a  Western dress shirt and jeans, a symbol of her profession and lifestyle. I believe she definitely represents one of those thinker, prober, scientist described in Rita Dove's quote.


Why did this impress me so much? My eight year old grandson is Autistic. I know the sacrifices his parents and sisters have made to help him achieve his full potential. The night I watched the movie on HBO, I cried the first real tears for my grandson. I acknowleged the struggles his future may hold and realized what he and his family would be facing. But I was given hope. My grandson had the lack of speech that was the first sign that Temple had a problem. He has had years of early childhood therapy that was not avaiable to her. We are so blessed by the work of the thinker, probers and scientists who are devoted to better diagnosis and treatment for this devasting development disorder. I'm grateful for Temple's openness and extraordinary work in this area that is affecting so many children today.


Dallas is hosting a large conference on Future Horizons in Autism/Aspagers October 28-29. I am grateful for the researchers who are looking for answers. But I know that God made my grandson for his glory and that he is "perfectly and wonderfully made." His future is in God's hands and Temple's story and modern findings encourages us that his "future horizons" are open to a lot of potential and possibilities.



1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for commenting on my blog (nettie fudges world). And I love your idea of "Footprints in the Sand". Hadn't thought of my 'footprint' that way. Your idea put a different Light on the subject. I read your blog and especially loved the last paragraph where you describe your precious grandson. I know The Lord and your encouraging words will help him along life's journey.
    nettie

    ReplyDelete