Friday, December 24, 2010

What Time is It?

We are all familiar with the wisdom of Ecclesiastes: 3:1, "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."

So little time, so much to do, is a common mantra. Time has been my enemy in Christmas's past. My usual MO is to be late. To wait until the last minute. To break all speed limits to arrive at the appointed time. To just run out of time and not finish what I started for the occasion.

Well this year has been different. I've been a week ahead of myself,  almost showing up for two functions a week early. If I hadn't called one of our Christmas dinner guests yesterday, I'd be cooking the dinner right now, then wondering where the people were to eat it. Thankfully she informed me yesterday was the 23rd instead of the 24th.

At least I have all the food in and things ready so I don't have to go out today, unless I run out of Scotch tape. Rain is predicted, but thus far hasn't shown up. We know the malls are a mess and the roadways crowded with those drivers like me who are driving at breakneck speeds for last minute shopping and errands. Today, I have time to be quiet and relax.

"When the time is right, you just got to do it."  Jack Simplot

What is the time right for you to do? Mend a friendship? Send a thank you card? Call on an elderly person who lives alone? Call a grieving friend? Pray for someone who is having problems? Bake a cake to welcome a new neighbor? Sit with a baby so a new Mom can get her hair cut and a manicure?

Time is truly a gift. Use it wisely.



No comments:

Post a Comment