Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sifted Like Wheat or Saved By Unfailing Faith

"Simon, Simon, satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail and when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." 
Luke 22:31

This was written for me! How many times have I allowed satan to sift me as wheat? Probably as many times as it takes to make a lifetime of bread. And the result was periods of drifting here and there and getting myself into all sorts of difficulties and often feeling that God was not there for me or answering my prayers. Sneaky satan was constantly weakening my faith to hold me in bondage to him.

For years I had not realized that Jesus said he was praying for Simon when he was showing weakness. Does that mean the Lord himself prays that MY faith will not fail?  Does that mean that while satan tries to destroy my faith, that the Lord himself is battling him to strenghten my faith?

Those times when satan was sifting me like chaf in the wind, my confidence and self-esteem were destroyed.  My life was a daily struggle, trying to lean on my own weakening strength. I was hanging onto a broken crutch that could never hold me up or give me the balance I needed. I was drained of energy, creativity, joy or any effectiveness. I had nothing to give.

When my faith was restored, I was leaning on the Rock of my Salvation. I became focused on the cross and it's gift of life everlasting. As I spent less time in satan's slavery, my confidence and self-esteem blossomed. 

Back in Jesus loving arms, I was back in the family of God where I belonged instead of flitting here and there, serving satan's whims. God loved me enough to send His son, Jesus, to pray with me that my faith would not fail. Only through His love can I grow in faith so I can strengthen others. 




No comments:

Post a Comment