Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When We Desire Human Approval More Than God's Glory

 "On the other hand, a considerable number from the ranks of the leaders did believe. But because of the Pharisees, they didn't come out in the open with it. They were afraid of getting kicked out of the meeting place. When push came to shove they cared more for human approval than for God's glory."

John 12:42-43 (The Message)


As we read John's words, I'm sure our thoughts go directly to the political upheavel our leaders, elected or appointed, seem to be causing. It has become daily conversation and is resulting in animosity between Christian believers with differing political views. It is reducing faith in our country and in some ways faith in God as the Supreme Leader. But it also carries another message. 

John was making a reference to Isaiah's message after seeing God's light that would pour out through the Messiah, "Their eyes are blinded, their hearts are hardened so that they COULDN'T SEE with their hearts and turn to me, God, so I could heal them." Who, then, needs healing?

This is not a message just for our country's leaders. What about our school, community, corporate, and church leaders? We have heard and seen decline in many institutions thru those who speak to the desire of human hearts for having what they want. Believing the messages that dance around sin and focus more energy on prosperity than God's grace and redemption through Christ's blood, would probably be considered by Isaiah the beginning of the hardening of the heart. If we don't see prosperity coming quickly and as we desire, many will reject God and blame their disappointments and loss on Him.  Those who consider their earthy gain as coming from their hard work or intelligence probably can't see with their hearts either or share either love or giving from their hearts.

It is easy to get caught up in things not from God, but from our own blindness and peer pressure, today's pharisees. How many times have we leaned on the desire for earthly gain in doing our jobs, raising our kids and spending time in spiritually draining activities? How many times have we patted ourselves on our own backs instead of giving God the glory? Or gave credit to our CEO, college or training instead of praising God for the gifts He gave us? How many opportunites have we lost to share Jesus and God's love for fear of loosing a friend, or a job where our core beliefs would be a turn off to management and peers.

My weakened faith came afer experiencing several losses close together and feelings of God's rejection. I withdrew into my hiding place and out of the open witness  for the Lord. The result was feelings of guilt, letting God down, rejection by Him and lowered self-esteem. It's one thing not to have knowledge, but another to not appropriately use the knowledge I've been given. Hanging out with folks who didn't recognize the importance of belief and trusting in God was a huge stumbling block and provided a false sense of acceptance and security. 

Why would I give up faith and accept fear as my motivator? It seemed easier than risking rejection. When I finally began to surrender back to the Lord, I came back to His Word for advice and counsel and found a group of friends with whom I could share my love for the Lord without restraint. I could again bask in God's glory and give Him all the praise without concern for acceptance except from Him. 

I am now more  focused on doing all things for His Glory instead of for human approval. The more I accept and know God, the more I accept and know myself. I'm seeing others as God sees them, not thru the judgement of a heart hardened by earthly disappointment, but a heart filled with His joy and peace. Praise God for His healing of my mind, heart and spirit. This is true freedom.





2 comments:

  1. This was great Gigi! I Pet 5:10 says that after wse have suffered a while God HIMSELF will restore, establish and strengthen us. Sounds as if that is the kind of freedom you now enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara. I've heard it said "God ain't through with me yet and that the Hound of Heaven will chase after us until we stop and let him into our lives." So no more excuses, running away or reinventing myself.

    ReplyDelete