Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Run to the Tower


When I was in my mid-thirties a lot of stressful events occurred in my life. Friends encouraged me to run to manage some of the stress. I made an effort, but sadly another habit I developed to control stress was smoking. The cigarette became my smoke screen that I hid behind so my lungs didn't encourage my running very far. I remembered participating in track  for one year in high school and how well I could run back then.

"Set a goal," I was told. I wanted to do a marathon. Well, I huffed and puffed half walking a half running to the finish line swearing to never do this again instead of setting a goal to quit smoking. I did found that I had more energy and a better outlook on those mornings I ran so I continued to run or walk. My stress level was also lower on the days I ran. I had to give up a few years ago when my legs gave out on me. Riding a stationary bike or on a treadmill isn't the same as being in nature and enjoying the fresh air, sounds and sights that surround us out doors.

Many scriptures relate to running for the Lord. I believe it gives the same results as a run on the ground...energy, to improve our outlook, to reduce stress, to set and achieve goals and to have a relationship with the Lord. We can actually worship while running. I know I  prayed and sang praise songs in my head. Try running for the Lord.

'The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.'" Prov. 18:10

No comments:

Post a Comment