Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The First of the 3 P's

There are 3 P's that have immobilized me a great deal of my life. For the next 3 days, we'll take a look at these because I'm sure others have dealt with them. What are they? Mr. Procrastination, Ms Pride and Ms Perfectionism.

I believe the root of evil thought is Ms. Pride. She literally locks us up inside of ourselves and keeps that ME focus alive. We become totally self involved. We can not admit our failures, although we are well aware of them. We have to give the impression of being better than we are. We must keep tight control over ourselves and our environment. Our life is steeped in secrets and fear of being found out.

"Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud." (Proverbs 16:18-19)

Growing up under the shadow of an alcoholic father, I felt very inadequate, less of a person than my friends. I was indeed different. I locked lots of family secrets deep inside, including the real me. I wore my mask very well. How different my life would have been if I had unlocked that door and let my real self out much earlier.

It took me a long time to grasp the concept that I was made in my Heavenly Father's image and not my earthly father's. I had spent most of my life trying to please my parents and make them proud of me. Grace! What a concept. I kept looking for something that would merit it and finally realized it was Christ on the Cross, not anything I could possibly do accept humbly accept Him as my Lord and Savior.


"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Galatians 6:14)


Christ willingly took that painful walk up to Calvary for me so I could be washed of my sin. Pride could not do that for me. It kept me from recognizing my sin. I was finally freed when I went down on my knees in total humility and submission. He didn't care if my hair was backcombed, red or white. I didn't have on makeup or the latest fashion. He just wants us to come just as we are, leaving our past behind and taking His hand into our future.


"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." (Colossions 3:12)

With His help and a lot of encouragement from friends, pastors, Godly women who mentored me, and Christian writers, I have learned to walk in His spirit. Walking humbly before Him is so much easier than walking on eggs, hauling that sack of pride on my back, burdened down with self-pity, strivings, and all the other lies we live in pride.


"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." (Galatians 5:25-26)

Now, I don't have to hide behind the mask of pride, running from a lot of family garbage.
I am proud to proclaim that I am a grateful child of God, sister to The King of Kings, and member of the best family ever, the family of God. I am never unemployed as a humble servant of the Lord's. There is always lots for me to do and it keeps my mind off of self. For these things, I am proud.


"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8 )


REPLACE PRIDE WITH PRAISE AND PRAYER.






No comments:

Post a Comment