Monday, September 6, 2010

What Are We Laboring For

Today is Labor Day. Traditionally businesses were closed so the laborers could have a day off to spend with their families. Today, many who have the day off are at the beach, on the lake or in the backyard barbecuing. Yet, many do not have the day off and are working in retail stores to offer sales and shopping time for those who prefer using their time off for that purpose.

The Bible is filled with scriptures regarding labor. Ecclesiastes 2, 4, 5, 8 and 9 are filled with examples. "What does a man get for all the toil and anxious striving with which he labors under the sun? All his days his work is pain and grief; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is meaningless." (Ecclesiates 2:22-23 NIV)

How depressing! Has my work been meaningless? Is this all there is? Heaven forbid! But Solomon does bring up great points regarding what we strive for through our labor. Yes, we must earn a living for our families to provide shelter, clothing and food. But is this all our labor is about?

I think the wise old ruler is merely questioning our motives and attitudes regarding our work. Are we working for the right reasons? Are we working to "keep up with the Jones"? Could this be covetousness? Are we working just for success or to prove something? If we work to leave a fortune to our children,  are we sacrificing valuable time with them now and not helping them to learn to work and manage finances? Are we not using our full potential and cheating God and ourselves of all we can be? Are we using our gifts and talents in evil ways that turn others from God?

"But I said, 'I have labored to no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing. Yet what is due me is in the LORD's hand, and my reward is with my God'." (Isaiah 49:4)

As we celebrate Labor Day, we must give thanks to God for the gifts and talents he has given us and the work he has provided for us. I've never gotten a job that I did not pray for and so often it was not the job I had in mind, but because it came from God it was best for me. If we see our work as for the Lord, our whole attitude toward it changes and we can overcome the obstacles along our road to fullfillment.

"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." (1Corinthians 15:58)

What the Bible continues to emphasize is to depend on his guidance, wisdom and understanding. Our labor should always reflect God in our lives  and be giving Him the glory, whether we are cleaning someone's home or the CEO of a fortune 500 company or serving on the mission field in the jungles of Africa.

"We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thessalonians 1:3)




3 comments:

  1. And if you have a job, be sure to thank God for it. Even if it something you would rather not be doing, it is far better than not having a job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Ida. Often it is those times when we struggle that Gods comes along, opens a window and shows us how much He loves us. He's led many to better jobs than they left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what I am praying for. I know He has better things in store for me. Or, He has something better for me that doesn't involve me working outside the home.

    ReplyDelete