Friday, October 22, 2010

ARE YOU DEAD FROM DREAD?

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” 
(Joshua 1:9 )

That word "DREAD" is so close to the word "DEAD." And if we live in FEAR and DREAD, we are DEAD, spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. We become immobilized, unable to think rationally or creatively. We become stuck, unable to make decisions or take needed action. And that is not living, especially the full life God has planned for us.


So, when our situation looks dismal and choices seem limited, where do we go? It's easy to just sit around ringing our hands and repeating, "woe is me." And we'll get lots of worldly advice and sympathy. But is that what we want? Do we need more encouragement to feel sorry for ourselves and continue to flounder? NO, we have options.


Christians do not have to fear and dread what others do because we have hope in our Lord. Through the centuries he has proven himself faithful to believers. Think about Job, Moses, or even Christ as he walked down the Via Dolorosa to Calvary.

In Psalm 34:4 , the psalmist says, "I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears."


Even Sir Winston Churchhill told us that "we have nothing to fear but fear itself."
Freedom is available as soon as we surrender and let Christ forgive us, guide us, protect us and love us? Why then is fear and dread holding us back, keeping us from living the full life God has provided?

3 comments:

  1. Good blog. Years ago, I was seeking advice from a Godly friend about a decision I had to make. She told me 'never make a decision based on fear' and I realized that was exactly what I was doing. Could the reason fear holds us back be lack of genuine faith?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exastly, Wanda. I've been there, too and thanks for our Godly friends who remind us that if we keep our eyes on Jesus, we won't sink. He'll keep us afloat regardless of how stormy our sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Words Gigi. Your blog is a refreshing breath of fresh air and hope.

    ReplyDelete