Sunday, October 24, 2010



"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven."
(Matthew 5:43–45)

Have you ever had someone who was an absolute thorn in your side? A person that when the name was brought up sent prickles up your spine and you puffed up 3 sizes? I hope you handled it better than I did.

My husbands first wife, divorced about 20 years before I came along, never accepted their divorce and decided to remain in his life forever. She was always calling to give advice, manipulating with lies, or wanting something, usually money. It was not only annoying, but also totally inappropriate. Even his family agreed. I could have understood her need to stay in contact if they children together, but this was not the case.

I would blow up every time her name was mentioned and usuallly end up with a headache just thinking about it. The final blow was when he had ignored her e-mails and phone calls and an e-mail was sent to my address, which was only one letter different from his. She was frantic because he was not answering her mail or calls and thought he must be very ill or dying.

I finally had to admit that this was a very sick woman with a lot of major problems, primarily a result of not accepting reality and moving on with her life. My being angry  didn't bother her one bit. It only affected me. I began to understand "vengeance is mine, saith the Lord." My feelings of vengeance only affects me and makes me feel bad.

So I decided to ask God for forgiveness for the awful feelings I had toward her. I began praying for her and asked God to heal us both...me for my anger and her for her obvious mental state.  Praying for those who annoy us does indeed bring us peace. I know that I have no control over the situation, except to pray for God's help and accept his will for my life. 

Thank you, dear heavenly Father, for being the way for me to find peace by helping me to love your other sons and daughters as you love me.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! This sounds like my situation with my ex-son-in-law. He is truly a 'thorn in my side', and I struggle daily with forgiving him for the hurt he continues to dish out to our daughter, and to us. I pray for him, for his salvation, and for myself that God will help me to be forgiving no matter how many times he 'dishes it out'.

    Pray for me and I will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete