Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Contentment


I don't think I can ever be content according to worldly standards. I'll never drive a Rolls Royce or live in a penthouse in Manhattan or a mansion in Beverly Hills. Nor do I really long for these symbols of opulence. To me contentment rests in my relationship with God.

Like Paul in Philippians, I've learned to be content whatever my circumstances because of my faith in God. I may not have everything I want, but I will have everything I need and probably more. Having the strength to endure and persevere in trials and temptations are more important than having a black belt in Karate. I don't have to depend totally on my own skills. It is through God and his strenghtening that I can do all that I need to be content in my life.

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."  Philippians 4:11-13 (NIV)

Lord, thank you for helping me to finally realize that all I need for contentment is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment