Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Blessing of Peace




I was rudely interrupted while trying to explain a concept. I guess the look on my face betrayed what I was thinking. My friend whispered to me, "Pray for her." As soon as I began silently to pray for her I became less agitated and more relaxed. I prayed first for forgiveness from the Lord and then for me to be more compassionate and forgiving of the person and for the Lord to bless her..

"Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing." 1 Peter 3: 8--9

As I continued to observe the rude woman's countenance and behavior, it was obvious that she was experiencing a difficulty. I didn't need to know what the problem was, it was in the Lord's hands. I thanked my friend for reminding me that we are not to be revengeful of another's behavior. Jesus came to us so we would have peace. As members of his body, the church universal, we are to repay unpleasantness in others with a blessing. Silent blessings can be lifted as prayers at any time. And usually the blessing comes back to us, as it did to me, in the form of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment