Saturday, March 8, 2014

WISE LIVING


WISE LIVING

My high school Geometry teacher was the wisest woman I knew. She even had a face that reminded me of an owl. "Be sure your sins will find you out," was her favorite saying. She hated cheating. Every statement had to be proven. She was a taskmaster. So to me at that time, wisdom came from knowledge and I had to prove it.

But then I read the following, and other verses implying that wisdom was from God, not just books and theorems and proving the solution to problems.

"How can a young person live a clean life?
    By carefully reading the map of your Word.
I’m single-minded in pursuit of you;
    don’t let me miss the road signs you’ve posted.
I’ve banked your promises in the vault of my heart
    so I won’t sin myself bankrupt.
Be blessed, God;
    train me in your ways of wise living.
I’ll transfer to my lips
    all the counsel that comes from your mouth;
I delight far more in what you tell me about living
    than in gathering a pile of riches.
I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you,
    I attentively watch how you’ve done it.
I relish everything you’ve told me of life,
    I won’t forget a word of it." Ps 119:1-9

Instead of standing up in front of a class scribbling rules on a blackboard, I look into the Bible for facts and promises. I take these into my heart and then apply them in my life. My proof comes from the blessings I receive, not what I say.

Lent provides me encouragement to spend more time reading and applying scripture into my life. As I focus on God's love for me through his Son, I gain more confidence in seeking his will and believing he will help me to follow it. Just a few extra minutes each day helps me find and focus on words that I need to know and put into practice. I truly desire wise living which comes from keeping God's word in my heart and then taking the action Jesus guides me to. Even though I sin....or fall short of the goal......Jesus died so I could have life abundant. Wisdom is from him.


No comments:

Post a Comment