Monday, May 5, 2014

BURNED OUT


BURN OUT HAPPENS. I've been there and it's exhausting. It feels like the weight of the world is on the shoulders and the breath is being squeezed out of you by a boa constrictor. Your creativity has left the building. And it happens when you think you are doing good when actually you are too involved....in work, in church, in doing for your family, in doing good things for others, in being a martyr. Yes, these can all good things, but are you taking it a step too far? Are you hanging on when you should be letting go? Are you taking care of others while neglecting yourself. Are you taking on the responsibility of others instead of letting them do things they can do for themselves. It was happening in Jesus day. He realized the burdens people were taking on mostly to get ahead, just like we do. But he offered a solution. One he offers you today. Are you listening? Are you heeding his advice? Are you willing to let go and let him teach you a better way? His way gives you freedom.
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” MT 11:28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment