Monday, June 9, 2014

STAND AND LISTEN


Today is the Feast of St Columba, honoring St. Columba, a Celtic saint who founded the monastery at Iona, Scotland. He was born in Ireland and chose the life of a missionary and monastic over the wealthier life he was born in to. He answered God's call to leave his beloved Ireland to spread Christianity to Scotland. This is one of his very beautiful prayers:
" Sometimes in a lowly cell, in the presence of my God,
I stand and listen.
In the silence of my heart I can hear his will,
When I listen despairing people flock to me,
They expect that I can see the answers,
They ask my advice, they say I am wise.
I answer that nothing can deceive me,
If I stand alone and silently listen.
For I am but a servant who is guided by his king, when I listen.
Sometimes in a lowly cell in the presence of my God
I stand and listen."
Good advice for us today to stand and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment