Monday, August 4, 2014

ACTS 21


When was the last time you were told not to do something, but went ahead and did it anyway? What happened? My mother had an uncanny sense when I was thinking about doing something she would not approve of. She tried her best to dissuade me, but I had a mind of my own. She didn't want me to drive home from Waco, TX to Lawrenceville, Il for Christmas break because the weather predictions were for snow and ice. A friend's boy friend was driving with me and I thought he was a competent driver on bad roads. He had driven most of the way after we hit ice in Arkansas, but needed to rest so I took over. About 20 miles from home, a semi jackknifed causing me to go into a slide which was thankfully stopped by a guardrail. The car was totaled, but only bruises for us. The reason I had a car was because I was doing my Public Health rotation in South Dallas. I was again a walking student when I returned to school. Those nudges my mother got were from the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit had been nudging Paul not to continue to Jerusalem. He was a stubborn man, seized with his calling to bring salvation to the gentiles. At several stops along the way other believers had warned him it was not safe to continue to Jerusalem. " Coming over to us, he took Paul's belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, "The Holy Spirit says, 'In this way the Jews of Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.' " When we heard this, we and the people there pleaded with Paul not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus." Acts 21:11-13
Tune in tomorrow to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment