Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Wait for the Lord


Like a lot of folks, I've spent some time in depression, but never enough to consider suicide. That still small voice inside seems to stop me from going deeper. Something always comes up that reminds me that life is worth living, regardless of how lousy I feel today.
I once sat on a park bench with a loaded Colt 45 between myself and an acquaintance. I don't know why she reached out to me. She had the means and the mindset and I strongly suspected she was capable of pulling the trigger. As I sat with her and listened to all her reasons, I was shaking and praying. I let her talk. When she said something that I thought sounded like a flicker of hope, I recounted it to her and tried to get her to explore that idea. We prayed together several times. Thankfully God intervened. He is always there to intervene if we will just wait for him and give thanks for his saving intervention.
"Why are you depressed, O my soul?
Why are you upset?
Wait for God!
For I will again give thanks
to my God for his saving intervention." PS 42:11

No comments:

Post a Comment